Did You Know… Your Small Business May be Able to Help After a Natural Disaster?

Hurricane Ian worked its way up the eastern State’s coastline and destroyed homes, businesses, bridges, roadways, power lines, and much more infrastructure.

Per FEMA, The Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, 42 U.S.C. §§ 5121-5207 (the Stafford Act) §401 states in part that: “All requests for a declaration by the President that a major disaster exists shall be made by the Governor of the affected State.”

How can a small business help the Federal Emergency Management System Agency (FEMA) or the Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management (DHSEM) when a disaster strikes? Being proactive when Iowa or other states require disaster relief is key to preparing for government contracts.

Government Registrations

Businesses must be registered in government databases such as the System for Award Management (SAM.gov). SAM.gov has a section called Disaster Response Information, in which you can respond if you wish to be included in the Disaster Response Registry. It allows your business to enter bonding requirements if required, and you can also select the geographical area you would respond to. Click here to learn more about the disaster response registry.

Another important government database is the Dynamic Small Business Search (DSBS) hosted by the Small Business Administration. Information from your SAM.gov registration will auto-populate into DSBS. The DSBS contains additional information, including a statement on the capabilities of your business and more.

These databases demonstrate businesses have been vetted by the Federal government and are key resources for government contracting officers, and prime contractors to search for businesses that provide specific goods and services based on NAICS, PSC, geographic location(s), and other search parameters.

State Homeland Security and Emergency Services

Know where to find your and other State and Homeland Security and Emergency Services (SHSES). Click here to connect to each State’s SHSES resource for emergency management and the programs you may be able to register for to provide goods and services.

FEMA Industry Liaison Program

Per FEMA, during emergencies, each State coordinates the activation and use of resources needed to support the local governments to respond and recover from emergencies and disasters. However, they may need to seek external state resources if their internal state resources have been stressed and unable to provide goods and services due to the disaster.

Often there will be top commodities and services purchased that are needed after disaster strikes, such as consumable medical supplies, blankets, tarps, generators, temporary labor, meals, and more. Click here to learn more about how you can help FEMA.

Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC)

The PTAC is here to help your business navigate through the government contracting process and can provide assistance registering in SAM.gov and other government registrations.

For more information, contact the government contract specialist in your area.