As we wrap up 2022, our team wanted to take the opportunity to provide Iowa businesses doing business in the government sector with updates and considerations.
Iowa Department of Administrative Services (DAS) has a new registration site. The new state of Iowa DAS electronic bidding system, the Iowa Management of Procurement and Contracts Systems (IMPACS), is up and running! Connect with your PTAC counselor if you have any questions.
Federal Sector – Small Disadvantaged Businesses (SDB) – The President’s goal ensures that 15% of federal contracts go to SDBs by 2025. Do you meet the qualifications of being an SDB?
Small Disadvantaged Business Requirements:
- The firm must be 51% or more owned and controlled by one or more disadvantaged persons.
- The disadvantaged person or persons must be socially disadvantaged and economically disadvantaged.
- The firm must be small, according to SBA’s size standards.
Federal Sector – Small Business Size Standard Changes:
North American Industrial Classification (NAICS) codes, using average annual receipts (not the number of employees), SBA has proposed increasing these figures by 13.65%. This change is in an Interim Final Rule status and will go into effect on December 19.
The Rule also adjusts eligibility thresholds for the 8(a) program: Net worth must be less than $850,000 (was $750,000); gross income must not exceed $400,000 (was $350,000), and total assets must not exceed $6.5 million (was $6 million).
Federal Sector – Center for Veteran Enterprise (CVE) Program is being moved from the U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs to the Small Business Administration effective January 1, 2023.
- There is no immediate action required for VOSB or SDVOSB verified small business owners at this time.
- The SBA will provide additional guidance for self-certified SDVOSBs. The 2021 NDAA permits self-certified SDVOSBs up to one year after the transfer to remain self-certified.
- VOSBs or SDVOSBs verified by VA at the time of the transfer will not lose their status.
- VA and SBA are committed to being transparent and providing a seamless transition with minimal impact to small businesses participating in the program.
- Both agencies will keep all stakeholders, including VOSBs and SDVOSBs, updated on the new CVE processes.
Networking is key to all businesses! Below are organizations that host networking events throughout the year that you may consider checking out in 2023.
- Center for Industrial Research and Services – Iowa State University
- Iowa Lean Consortium
- Society of American Military Engineers
- Iowa League of Cities
- Association for Business and Industry
- Women Lead Change
- Army Corps of Engineers
- 1 Million Cups
- Local Chambers of Commerce
- Iowa Economic Development Authority (TSB program)
For more information, contact a CIRAS government contract specialist in your area.