- Meredith Corp., publisher of Better Homes & Gardens, owner of TV stations around the country and a major employer in Des Moines, has been bought by Media General for $2.4 billion. USA Today says the company plans to keep a corporate headquarters in Des Moines but that it also expects to slash $80 million in costs after the sale, including $60 million within the first year.
- Reuters has a story on the impact of Lean manufacturing techniques as a Wisconsin shipyard works to modernize and compete for an upcoming Navy contract.
- In case you’re interested, The Hill website has an opinion piece from the head of the National Association of Manufacturers. In a nutshell, Congress and the president aren’t doing enough to help.
- The Guardian has British economists warning of trouble there as a fallout to what’s going on in China. Growth forecasts have been cut in half due to projected dwindling demand for British exports.
- There’s not a whole lot here, but Forbes had a survey showing where various industries rate “Big Data analytics” on their priority list.
- And ICYMI, Gov. Terry Branstad had a piece in the Cedar Rapids Gazette describing Iowa’s “blueprint for energy independence.”
Thanks for reading.
Follow us on Twitter @CIRAS_ISU for more information. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to request certain content for CIRAS Digest.